Monday, August 4, 2008

Returning The Favor

A few months ago Laina mastered pedaling a bike. I blogged about how her little friend Antonio from school taught her how to pedal. Her teachers at school told me that Antonio would really work with Laina telling her to push this foot...then push that foot...until finally she got it and now she's a master pedaler! I find this story so touching. Laina has been with Antonio since her first day of school when she was 4 months old and he was 13 months old. At that point, he was just about to start walking and she was a new baby, miles away from taking her first step. Fast forward a few years and he's coaching her on how to pedal a bike.

Well, today I get to school to pick Laina up and Laina and Antonio are on the swings. With a HUGE smile on his face, Antonio shouts to me, "Look what we can do" and they both start swinging and pumping their legs. Laina has been pumping her legs and swinging herself for a while now and her teacher, Amanda told me that she's been teaching Antonio how to do it and today he "got it" and started pumping his legs himself on the swing. I love that a few months ago he taught her a skill and now today she is returning the favor and teaching him a skill.

Here is an old picture of Laina and Antonio from last summer at their trike-a-thon at school.

I struggled with the notion of having to put Laina in daycare when she was first born. It was hard to leave her at four months...probably the hardest thing I've had to do as a mommy. I'm fortunate now and I'm able to work part time so that I spend more time with her but today I have NO regrets that Laina is in daycare. She learns so much from the other kids....and she shares so much of herself with the other kids. It's really so important for her and I know that now...

No comments: