Thursday, May 29, 2008

Our Latest Adventure

We joined the local YMCA this week. Laina has been taking swim classes at the Y for a while now and Joe and I have wanted to join and we finally did so this week. I've been walking up a storm prepping for the Avon walk in October and I have developed a minor injury so I wanted to be able to use some of the equipment like the elliptical machine and the bikes that would give my foot a chance to recover a bit.

Yesterday was the first day the the 3 of us headed over there together. They have a program called "family prime time" where you can drop off your child to play while you go and use the facility. This was the first time I had to drop Laina off with "strangers" and I wasn't sure how she would do. She's very used to all her daycare buddies since she's been with some of them since she was 4 months old. She and I take a few "mommy & me" classes but I'm always with her. This was the first time I had to leave her in a new place and she just had to trust I would come back for her! I think it was harder on me! She did great. She took a few minutes to warm up which is fairly standard for her and then by the time I came back to get her, Meghan told me she had painted a watermelon, played with the baby dolls, vacuumed a bit (that's my girl!) and had her snack. The staff at the Y seem wonderful and I hear lots of good things about the place so I'm really happy we're members now. There's a real sense of community there and a huge family focus which is great.

No comments: