Saturday, January 3, 2009

Oh Wow - this is big

We closed a chapter on the book of Laina today and we moved our little baby over to a "big girl bed"...no more crib....*sigh*. It's very cool but somewhat unsettling as well. Having Laina in a crib was one of those last little connections to babyhood that we had with her. Laina was probably one of the oldest preschoolers to be in a crib, but we really had no need to move her since she never ever ever tried to climb out. She's a crib~dweller and has been since the early days...she's just always loved her little crib and never questioned her existence in it. But, Joe and I figured that if we didn't make the transition some day we would end up with an 18 year old still in a crib - ok, not really but you get the picture. We were also back and forth about whether we wanted to put her into a twin bed, or just convert her crib into a toddler bed, which meant buying a safety rail....decisions decisions....but then our very tall girl helped make the decision as the crib was getting too small, what with Laina and her 50 "buddies" aka the stuffed animals.

So, today was the day. We moved the twin bed back into Laina's room, went out to buy a bed rail so she wouldn't fall out of bed and we purchased new sheets for the bed. When I told her about the whole thing yesterday she excitedly proclaimed she wanted Tinkerbell sheets. How she even knows they sell Tinkerbell sheets is beyond me but they do - so we got 'em. Then she proceeded to tell me "next week I want Mickey Mouse sheets and then I want Backyardigans sheets". Yikes! We got the whole room set up for her this evening and then let her go upstairs for the big reveal.....drum roll please.....and this was her reaction.

I think she likes it!

Joe and I are adjusting, and I will admit I had a tear in my eye as we put her to bed tonight. Our little girl is growing up. So far she's done well, she went right to sleep and didn't really play too much in her bed. Who knows what the night will bring though!

No comments: