Friday, March 21, 2008

Goodbye Old Friend



We had to say goodbye to Ziggy yesterday, which was incredibly difficult for me. He developed kidney disease. The symptoms came on pretty suddenly on Monday. I brought him to the vet on Tuesday and we were back there again on Wednesday. Things were just getting worse for him. I could tell he was in a lot of pain and just not my happy little Zig so I made the most difficult decision I can remember making in a long time. He "fell asleep" in my arms at the vets. It was actually really quite beautiful and he was so warm, soft and peaceful and I could see the pain just go away.

Zig has always been an aloof cat, requiring heavy doses of love on his timetable. He tends to keep his distance from Laina so she really hasn't noticed that he's gone yet. I'm not sure that she really ever will so that makes it a little bit easier.

Di is visiting this week and she was with me when I got him from the Westbrook shelter on March 7, 1995 and now she was here this week when I had to say goodbye to him on March 20, 2008. He was my first baby. My first real responsibility as an adult. We've been together 13 years. He's seen me through having my first apartment, my first real job, meeting Joe, getting married, buying a house, having a baby, all of it....he's just always been there, my faithful friend. Joe calls him our guardian angel because he just knows when we're having a bad day and there he is to comfort us.

He will be truly truly missed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sandy,
It's an amazing gift that our pets have for sensing when we 're having a bad day. I've had to say goodbye in the same way with our pets, but I felt like I should be with them when it's that time. You did the best thing for Zig, and know you're in my thoughts! Jack