Saturday, May 16, 2009

Mama Bear


I put Laina to bed last night and after a while she called for me. I asked her what she needed and she told me "Mommy, I need to tell you this really bad news". So, I went upstairs to hear the "bad news". She told me that three boys at school told her that they didn't like her dress and that they said she couldn't play in the area of the classroom that they were playing. I asked her how she responded and she told me she told her teacher that they wouldn't let her play in that area and her teacher corrected the boys and Laina played there. I'm glad she didn't just walk away and that she asked her teacher for help. I asked her about the dress thing and I asked her if she liked her dress and she said "YES!" and so I told her that's all that mattered. I'm so tempted to waltz into school on Monday morning and confront the three little boys, but I won't. It's hard not to get all "mama bear" and want to protect your "cub" from any harm. School can be such a tough place some times and I hate that she has years of this junk ahead of her. The other part that just really bugs me is that when Laina woke up Friday morning she was lying in bed and she said "Mommy, its ok I wear my zoo dress today" and was so excited to wear it and then for the boys to say something mean about her clothes just makes me sad. Oh little cub. How I wish I could shelter you forever.

No comments: