Tuesday, February 24, 2009

When Did.....

Qui ~ Gong...
become Kitty Hugs?

Pictured above is our beloved Kitty Hugs. This is Laina's all time favorite stuffed animal. I bought Kitty Hugs in May of 2005 when I was pregnant with Laina and had just found out I was having a girl. It was my first official purchase for my baby. It's a super soft "Ty" stuffed animal with a little rattle in it and a pink heart on her belly. When Laina was about 6 months old or so, I somewhat "strongly" encouraged her to love Kitty Hugs because it was the lovey that I had purchased for her. Joe said I was brainwashing her but I like to think of it as strong encouragement. Whatever you call it, it worked and Kitty Hugs is Laina's all time favorite buddy.

So fast forward to when Laina started talking and she couldn't pronounce Kitty Hugs. She began calling Kitty Hugs "Qui ~ Gong" and Joe and I always loved that it sounded like a character out of Star Wars so we too called her Qui ~ Gong. This went on for a long long time. Even when Laina could say Kitty....and Hugs....she still called her Qui ~ Gong.

Well folks, all that has changed. A few months ago Laina started calling Qui ~ Gong by her "real name", Kitty Hugs and this has just left Joe and I with broken hearts. Our little baby isn't so little any more. How does this happen? How do we move from Qui ~ Gong to Kitty Hugs? Everywhere we go around town people say "Oh my gosh she's getting so big"! It happened twice today - at the post office and the bank - two people commented and asked how old she is now and when I replied "three" they said "wow, that was fast!" You're telling me! At the bank, I replied that she was "three", Laina chimed in and said "I'm almost FOUR" - - - - four, huh, four? That's a hop skip and a jump away from kindergarten! Amazing. My little Laina, no longer an infant, no longer a toddler, now she's a preschooler....she knows all her letters, can count to 30, can write her name, mommy, daddy, has started learning addition....and no longer says "Qui ~ Gong" anymore....*sigh*

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Paul used to call pancakes "buppahs". That's what we all call them now. Emily used to call her bathing suit a "bee doot". I think Katie always pronounced everything perfectly. Paul used to call Auntie Gloria "doodle-ooh". I love it when they pronounce words cute. Don't let it go!! Let Laina call it Kitty Hugs. You guys have to keep calling it by the other name (it escapes me now) and she will remember the funny name she called it.
I named my teddy bear Prenny Jeffery Francis Thomas Mahoney Landry. Don't know why . . . I just did :-)
Betty